At the merch table

(Thanks to John Baldwin, Juanita Pinzón-Caicedo, and Steven Sivek for comments and moral support.) 

In grad school, the AMS (American Mathematical Society) would have merch tables at conferences where they sold t-shirts.  These shirts were pretty goofy with slogans like "You want the proof, you can't handle the proof".  At the time, I thought I was too cool for that.  But for a brief period, maybe around 2013 or so, the AMS had these long sleeve shirts that I thought were surprisingly stylish.  I thought the AMS was finally "with it".  One shirt I got is apparently cool enough that a hipster ex still wears it (and I'm probably not getting it back).  For the past 10 years or so I've checked the AMS website to see if they've got cool new math gear, and I'm always very disappointed with the shirts.  

This week I'm disappointed with the AMS for a more serious reason.  Recently, they put out the following statement around the Navier-Stokes frenzy:         

"The news today of progress on resolving the Navier–Stokes problem, one of mathematics’ great longstanding challenges concerning the equations that govern the flow of fluids, represents a milestone advance in human knowledge. This story began with Navier, Stokes, Leray, and Ladyzhenskaya and has culminated in the recent breakthroughs of Córdoba and Martínez-Zoroa, then — assisted by new technologies — Alpöge and Buckmaster, with the final steps taken by OpenAI mathematicians. The purpose of mathematics is human understanding, and this achievement, and the process that led to it, will bear fruit for a long time to come.  - Ravi Vakil, President of the AMS, and John Meier, CEO of the AMS"

If you live in a math cave, then OpenAI has claimed a solution to the Navier-Stokes Millenium Problem, coming on the heels of work of Alpöge and Buckmaster on a related problem.  I know nothing about Navier-Stokes and I don't know any of the parties involved, so rather than try to summarize, I think it is worth reading the following statement by Buckmaster that alleges various forms of ethical misconduct, which, in short, amount to plagiarism, attempting to get an author booted, and threats to the career.  (There's also this recent article by the New York Times.)  OpenAI and the relevant employee there also put out statements either refuting the actions or meanings of the quoted statements.  

While I am very anti-AI in general, I don't claim to know the truth to any of the story, claims, or mathematics.  However, I think it is a major problem that the AMS is putting out a statement about the situation before a) the misconduct allegations have been clarified and b) the paper has been fully vetted by the math community.  Since the AMS loosely speaks as a representation for mathematicians in the US, they are implicitly endorsing this as allowable behavior by AI companies or random non-mathematicians for that matter.  

I encourage everyone that is in the sphere of influence of the AMS to read their Ethical Guidelines.  For example, I will point out a few items from the guidelines that I think are particularly relevant here: 

"...mathematicians have certain responsibilities, which include the following:

  • To endeavor to be knowledgeable in their field, especially about work related to their research;
  • To give appropriate credit, even to unpublished materials, materials on websites, and announced results (because the knowledge that something is true or false is valuable, however it is obtained);...

....On appropriate occasions, it may be desirable to offer or accept joint authorship when independent researchers find that they have produced identical results. All the authors listed for a paper, however, must have made a significant contribution to its content, and all who have made such a contribution must be offered the opportunity to be listed as an author. ....The growing importance of mathematics in society at large and of public funding of mathematics may increasingly place members of the mathematical community in conflicts of interest." 

I strongly encourage the AMS to alter or retract their statement until the situation is settled more definitively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expert in a Dying Field

Happy Birthday Cameron! (part 1)

Tools of the trade